Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Run for the babies

I think I can officially add a new item to my Should-I-Ever-Need-One resume:  10K Route Planner.

Remember this post?  I've found The Answer to 10K-planning stress gremlins and it is simply to NOT be in charge.  Just be on a committee!  YES, we are putting on another 10K (and 5K) ... (and kids' run) ... (!!) this Saturday morning featuring another custom-designed route by yours truly.

The PURPOSE is to raise much needed funds for a nonprofit birthing center in Haiti, called Mama Baby Haiti.  You can read more about it here.  The poorest of the poor in the Western Hemisphere can receive free medical care and education to help combat Haiti's higher mortality rate for newborns in this fledgling little clinic.  A worthy cause if ever there was one.

So the 6.2 and 3.1 mile routes are ready and our ever alert volunteer spotters are standing by.  (Spotters are those highly indispensable people who stand at an intersection and point the way.  Remember this post?  I, for one, owe MUCH to volunteers at organized runs.)  I've learned, in my impressively vast route-designing experience (note the modesty), to plan around sidewalks and wide road shoulders, painted crosswalks and stop signs.  The local police department assures me that we don't need special permission or training for crossing guards -- they just need to wear one of those chic, trend-setting vests and hold a colorful flag.  And deep down, who doesn't want to be a crossing guard?  Now really, think of the power ....

I've tweaked, measured, and have personally run and walked all parts of the route several times and Google Earth has verified the mileage.  This is my home running turf and I know the roads in this town well.  So come and join in the fun, rain or shine, and run (or walk) for the babies!

http://www.mamababyhaiti.org/fundraisers/

http://www.mamababyhaiti.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/jen-with-baby.jpg
P.S.  For added good news, we're already talking about the NEXT Mama Baby Haiti Benefit 10K.  Possibly next spring - in more dependable weather.  So stay tuned .....

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've gotten involved in MBH. The donation end of things is so important to keep the organization going. Now let's see if I can summon the resolve to actually run!

    ReplyDelete