Thursday, November 24, 2011

Just so you know .....

.... I sometimes do things other than running.  Like tonight, Husband, Favorite 2nd Son, and I went bowling! It's been at least 10 or 15 years since I've even lifted a bowling ball.  Afterwards I was pleased that I didn't come away smelling like cigarette smoke.  Not that anyone ever smoked near us when we used to go there.  It's just that too many years of housing smokers has caused the smell to permeate every bowling alley in which I've ever been.  But not anymore!  Nice.

My bowling skills are still as random as ever.  In one game I can get several strikes and spares earning a decent score, and the next game I barely break over 60.  But all in all, I'm not too bad at it and I think some of the credit for that comes from the principle of cutting fabric.  Let me briefly explain.

Another insight into my past - I used to sew a LOT.  When cutting fabric, I learned that if I look at the point where the scissors need to go, they will usually go there.  I don't need to watch the scissors or my hand as I'm cutting.  Just keep my eyes on the end point.  It works.  The cutting-fabric principle seems to apply in bowling.  Utilizing the arrows on the lane, decide which arrow you want your ball to roll across.  Then really focus on that arrow.  Keep your eyes on it.  Generally, if you keep your wrist straight, your ball will indeed roll across that very arrow.

Now since I only bowl once every 10 or 15 years, I haven't tested this method that much, but so far, it's proving out.  At least it did tonight because I WON our last game.  HA!  Oh yeah!!

Another valuable bowling lesson I remember from years ago:  Guys:  Unless she asks, NEVER give bowling advice to your date WHILE SHE IS TRYING TO BOWL.  Don't offer suggestions on how improve her skill.   Just sit there and smile.  Act happy if she knocks down a pin.  Ignore her gutter balls.  Tell her she looks really good and ask if she's lost weight.   Even if your wise and valuable advice would improve her game, it'll do no good because she won't want to go with you again ... or if she does, it won't be for a long time .... say 10 or 15 years.


And for THAT advice, you can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment