Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Birthdays, PRs, etc.

Today is my 57th birthday.  There.  I admit it.  One thing I don't like about "pushing" sixty is that Heaven knows I get ENOUGH exercise without also having to push something.  So I proclaim that NO ONE HERE is even CLOSE to sixty until they are AT LEAST 59 and 11-1/2 months old.  Then we'll broach the discussion about pushing things.  Maybe ... well ... no ... probably not.

Speaking of exercise, today is also noteworthy because I just completed a new PR!  For the first time ....

(drum roll ....)

... Yours Truly has ...

(more drum rolls ...) 

... ran 100 miles in one month!

ONE HUNDRED MILES, PEOPLE.

Yes indeedy!  And we're not talking 100 miles of running and walking breaks.  I still break to walk quite a bit, but when I do - the Garmin is PAUSED.  (That also brings to mind:  Happy birthday to my Garmin!  One year ago today, it replaced my stopwatch and we've been a team ever since.)
The sign denotes MILES, not age!

I didn't set out to run this mileage on November 1, but because I've been obsessively logging my miles as described here, several days ago, after a fun 6+ mile run with friends, I realized that I was within 15 miles of 100.

"You can do it!" cheered Husband and Favorite 3rd Son.  So I went out and did another two miles that day, and these last 72 hours have been a scramble to meet this new goal.  Who knows when I'll get this close again?

It should also go without saying that I don't plan to do another 100 next month, or any other month for that matter, so please don't hold me to anything.  No one is raising any bars here.  If it happens, it happens.

Another significance about today:  It was exactly one year ago when I signed up for my marathon.  What a birthday present THAT was!  --- For six months the "gift" never stopped giving!  My gift to myself THIS year is that I'm NOT signing up for a marathon.  Yay!!  Best present ever.

For now I will just feel proud of, and grateful for, these very tired legs of mine which, for 57 glorious years, have hauled me across a lot of miles ... with a LOT more hauling to go .... But remember, NO ONE is pushing anything!

(P.S.  After listening to my many moans and complaints of exhaustion, Husband supports the plan of not running 100 miles next month.  Deal!)


2 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You are amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I'm as cool when I turn 57... Love you Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete