Thursday, November 24, 2011

Home-made Turkey Trot - where's my camera?

Our family opted to do our Thanksgiving a few days early this year.  Hence as the rest of the world gears up for the annual feast ..... I'm feeling a bit liberated because the only remnant of the big bird in my fridge is a pot of turkey stew, which will soon become turkey pot pie before it disappears entirely.   Last night Husband and I went to the local grocery store in search of ice cream, and mingled with the last minute shoppers and their bulging carts.  I wondered about the people digging through the frozen turkey bin.  Do they actually think it'll thaw over night??

Anyway, it's officially Thanksgiving and this morning I got to join in on a home-made turkey trot.   Why pay when you can run for free with your daughter and her friends?  (Well, actually I could give several good reasons for paying, but today I don't have to.)   We ran amid the pumpkin patches on Grand Island, my old marathon training grounds.  (Note to self:  Next time bring camera! - Fortunately Daughter, aka Photographer Extraordinaire, pulled out her camera for a quick shot before we dispersed for our homes/showers.)
Besides good company and picturesque scenery, some highlights of our 6-mile run were: 10 year old grandson Garret got to lead the way in his special stroller, bundled in multiple layers plus a blanket.   (See, I needed that camera.)

Plus, although we've had three days of almost non-stop rain and wind, the clouds parted long enough and revealed a few temporary patches of blue.  (Dang.  I had my phone and IT has a camera.)

This is a much better way to spend Thanksgiving morning, instead of mixing roll dough and chopping onions.  Better than parades on TV?  Much MUCH better!  Better than football?  Um ... YES.  And in honor of the actual reason for the season, I am reminded of one of my myriad of blessings - the ability to run.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I was so happy to see blue sky and got my 6 mile run in this morning as well. I was there with you in spirit!! :)

    ReplyDelete