Sunday, November 20, 2011

Best Laid Schemes ....

I admit that in some things, I am a perfectionist.  Not in the neatness of both my bathroom counter and my sewing room ... and our garage ... but rather when I take on an endeavor that involves other people.  Added to my perfectionism, is an absolute abhorrence for asking for help.  When I MUST ask others to participate or to help with something, I am hell-bent to make it all flow as efficiently as possible.  My obsessiveness over details, is due to my respect reverence for other people's time and resources.  I will do everything humanly possible myself, only asking for help in those things I absolutely cannot manage alone.

For example, the last time we moved, almost eight years ago (.... wow, time flies!) Husband and I hauled every box and every item we could carry before we asked for help.  Then when our helpers (dear friends) arrived, the truck was ready and all that remained were the large furniture and appliances that couldn't be disassembled into smaller pieces.  Our helpers were here less than two hours, after which I fed them donuts and gratefully sent them home to their families.  Unless it is an emergency of tsunami proportions --- if I feel I need/want something, I will start it, do it, and finish it myself.  And I would never THINK of asking anyone to clean up after me.

That said, as you know, I have been in charge of several 10K runs, or have been in charge of portions of the events.  And I have encouraged (nagged) people to come and participate, along with those dreaded, but unavoidable pleas for help from my priceless friends and family.  When the event is free, my perfectionistic nature isn't quite so obsessive ....  after all, you get what you pay for ... right?  But when the runners arrive with their checkbook, along with their trust that the event will be worth their time and money, I am almost driven over The Edge, trying to make everything go FLAWLESSLY.

But in spite of "best laid schemes of mice and men", it often doesn't.

There are circumstances that dwell in that hideously evil place called Beyond My Control.  Or in that other equally evil place called the Land of Unforeseen.  Sometimes those evil places spew their contents onto my event, sending my world into a tailspin.

So what does one do?  Live and learn, I guess.  Chip away, little by little, at the uninvited from the Land of Unforeseen, and learn to roll with whatever arrives from Beyond My Control.

And appreciate anew, those trite little sayings we often share on face book like, "The only failure in life is the failure to try", which offers some comfort.  But not as much as, "No man (woman) is a failure who has friends".

So true.


4 comments:

  1. I do so enjoy reading your posts and have to admit, we share some of the same issues. In any event, any money you raised, is more than you had before which is how I had to look at a fundraiser endeavor of mine that had a few hiccups. You were valiant in your endeavors and learned a few things for next time. My hat goes off to you...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Jennifer G. put it...there are far worse things in this world than running a few extra steps. I had a great time! Thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful because the Lord might send you on a welfare services mission to Africa where NOTHING goes as planned, and you literally have to just relax and take it as it comes, go with the flow, don't sweat the small stuff, etc. etc., and just enjoy the ride. I have gained great respect for the senior missionary couples serving in third world countries where almost everything is beyond their control, and yet they love every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Be like the grass"... I used to be a perfectionist, funny thing is, learning to let go has made many of my projects better and I'm not so stressed.

    ReplyDelete