Monday, April 25, 2011

Post Easter thoughts

It's Monday morning, the day after Easter.  We basically didn't celebrate Easter this year, so it seems.  No eggs, no candy, no parties, no new clothes as we've done in many years past when the kids were small.  We just went to church as usual.  I did make goat cheese pizza, a yummy favorite of those currently living at the home front.  And I prepared my lesson for next week's Sunday School class.  Pretty humdrum.

Then I read a few entries in Facebook from people who celebrated the holiday by veering off from their normal Sunday routine and attending church ... and that got me to thinking.  Celebrating a holiday by attending church.  Maybe once or twice a year?  Interesting concept.  Any church attendance is better than nothing I suppose.  But if one's chosen church worships Jesus Christ and follows the Bible then IMHO, once or twice a year is not going to cut it.  For that is not what He taught.

So although my Easter celebrations have become a bit lack luster, I did go to church.  As I do every week.  And I attempted to honor the Sabbath, as I do every week.  So in a sense I, and those in my household, celebrate Easter every Sunday.  For to truly celebrate Easter and acknowledge the wondrous fact that HE actually LIVES, is to simply do what He asked us to do.




4 comments:

  1. I'm not big into making Holidays material either. It just seems to be getting more and more out of control...and my kids ALREADY are too into their presents and candy at such a young age. Their grandparents are a big reason for that, which is fine, that's what grandma's do!! But I always tell Nate that we need to remember to teach our children what is most important, and especially teach them how blessed they are and that there are so many people in the world (specifically children) who don't get showered with gifts all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what I needed to hear/read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's kind of how I feel. We celebrate Easter every Sunday. We don't do the Easter Bunny on Sunday thing, but I would like to start some traditions that focus on the meaning of Easter. Good post! I love all your posts. I don't always comment because I often read on my iPhone and it's a pain to comment on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautifully stated. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete