Friday, April 15, 2011

Make it DARK, Dah-ling.

Chocolate.  It has nothing to do with running; however, chocolate doesn't have to.  It stands on its own merits.  But it must be dark.  In my younger, less-enlightened years, I THOUGHT milk chocolate was good ... and it still is as long as it's wrapped around a peanut M&M or a See's rum nougat truffle.  (Side note:  I heard after the fact, that See's temporarily offered this near-perfect choice of truffle in dark and THEY DIDN'T CALL ME!)

Anyway, I've now matured and have honed my usually-non-discriminatory taste buds to accept only this:
I used to buy 85%.  Then they came out with 90%.  I tried it and at first thought it was too not-sweet, but after finishing the bar, there was no going back.  So none of that overly sweet, cream-filled stuff for me.  I'm strictly hard core.  And since my family doesn't follow suit with this, there's no need to hide it.  They won't touch it.  They don't even like it!  (Strange people.)

Plus ... as another small step towards a perfect world, there is the happy benefit of healthiness!  According to this and many other sources, dark chocolate has antioxidants and can be helpful for lowering blood pressure.  The catch is:  small quantities.  So I TRY to make a bar last at least 4 days.  (BIG emphasis on try.)

They say that a daily moderate amount of red wine can give similar benefits; however, due to personal and religious standards, I don't drink alcohol.  So for me, my little square of dark chocolate is MY glass of wine.  Not a bad alternative, IMHO.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like good Words of Wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love, love dark chocolate. have you ever had the dark bittersweet chocolate with mint? Yummm!! my family also won't touch my chocolate. I break it into small pieces and put it in the freezer for emergencies. Dang! Now, I'm craving chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha chocolate stands on it's own merits? this is a very good line :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and John are definitely on the same page! I have always loved milk chocolate but am really starting to appreciate the Dark side.
    For some really interesting chocolate combination's check out www.vosgeschocolate.com.

    ReplyDelete