Thursday, January 13, 2011

Walking Breaks (GASP!)

This is blasphemy to die-hard obsessive runners.  And I use to be one of them.  But since I heard about the Jeff Galloway running philosophy, I've calmed down a little and have given myself permission to take walking breaks on my long runs.  For me, I loosely define long runs as anything more than a 10K (6 miles).  Galloway maintains that humans were never meant to run non-stop for long distances.  (Though the Tarahumara runners would probably beg to differ.)  He says that adding frequent walking breaks will:
1. Promote a quicker recovery.
2. Help prevent injury.
3. Improve your overall time in a marathon.

How on earth, you may ask, can #3 be possible?  The reasoning is that you do not tire as soon nor as much and will finish stronger and faster, rather than slowing way down in the last miles as non-stop runners do.  He has plenty of testimonials from previously doubtful marathoners who set new PRs with his program.  According to his book, a marathon is a marathon, whether you ran, walked, or crawled the distance.

What is a walking break?  It's just walking for a minute or so, at least once per mile.  Galloway says roughly every 5 - 8 minutes.  He doesn't even stress fast walking, though my ironman friend Mark advises that you keep a brisk pace.  When I first heard of this, my reaction was that a marathon suddenly became possible.

He also stresses that on a LSD run (Long Slow Distance), that you reduce your speed.  I can do that!  Since my speeds proudly range from Slow to Slower to Slowest, I can happily go from Slow to Slower and will even entertain Slowest on a long run.

So now Jeff G. and I are good friends -- albeit the fact that he's never heard of me.  He has given these aging bones hope of finishing those 26.2 miles.

Now if I can just get my bruised ego to shut up when I stop and walk during mile one.

No comments:

Post a Comment