Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Gratitude

With the current circulating facebook post about feminist atheists' fascination with "Mormon Mommy" blogs, and in light of former president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Spencer W. Kimball's prophecy ...   


“Much of the major growth that is coming to the Church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world (in whom there is often such an inner sense of spirituality) will be drawn to the Church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the Church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the Church are seen as distinct and different — in happy ways — from the women of the world.”


... I wondered, how can I contribute?  This is a running blog.  Then a thought immediately came to mind.  Gratitude.  


I am a lifetime member of the above-named church and have always had a knowledge of God's existence and relevance in my life.  I attribute everything good in my life to my active participation in the religion that I consider to be His.  And I mean everything.  I am aware of the blessings I have been given and the importance that we use all blessings for good.  So I hope this counts in a small way.  


One of those blessings is health.  I have always been healthy.  My body, though probably past the half-way point of its mortality, continues to do what it always could do -- only with an ever increasing recovery-time.  And now I'm pushing it beyond reasonable limits, with more pushing to come, and so far, the bones, muscles, ligaments, are holding together.  And I am so grateful.  


(I'm in the bright orange vest.)


I have noticed whenever I participate in a group run of any type, during the first few minutes of the run (before wretched Tiredness hits), I am almost overcome with a deep sense of gratitude.  Gratitude that I am able to DO this!  At my age!   It almost brings tears.  During those first few minutes, the world is an exciting place and I am part of it.  I am living it.  I am taking on a challenge and holding up my end.  Maybe THIS is the Runner's High -- and not that happy feeling while in the shower after the run is DONE.  Whatever it is, it is a powerful gush of camaraderie and love for those around me, and gratitude to God for the strength to do this.  I lack in many attributes, but I can run and it brings me joy.




I owe EVERYTHING to my religion, but most of all for the knowledge of Him, the Creator of all, to whom I am grateful. 


P.S.  Thank you Chery, for the photos! 

8 comments:

  1. Well said. I think the atheist's post was kind of sad. She longs for the life portrayed by the bloggers and in the next breath rejects it out-of-hand as being an impossible dream. None of us have perfectly blissful lives, but I, too, am grateful for mine, even with all its imperfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I would kind of like it if you did posts not-about-running some of the time. Because, you know, I don't really like running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna be just like my mom when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, I'll keep the non-running post suggestion in mind. But isn't that like asking Cake Wrecks not to always post about cakes? Still, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Brenda. I'll just add an Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I look at Cake Wrecks because I like to laugh and I like cake. I guess it depends on your target audience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post Brenda. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also read that article of Mormon Mommy Blogs and found it interesting. I also love those blogs but I crave realism and I admit it's hard to find it completely realistic to be that airbrushed all of the time. I think the point of those blogs and of yours is sharing joy. I think that is what the author and others like her are attracted to. Life has given us opportunities to develop talents and share them. Blogging is an opportunity to share. I love that you write about running. You obviously love it and through your love I'm not only inspired to keep running my paltry, slow distance, I am also getting to know you better and I find that fascinating.

    ReplyDelete