Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Milkshakes, leg cramps, and fuel belts

Last week Favorite-Running-Partner/Daughter-Lindsay and I went for a 14 mile run together.  It HAD to be 14 miles because that was on The Schedule.  I strategically planned our route to include Dairy Queen at about mile 11, figuring their banana (potassium source!) shakes would fuel us for the last few miles.  ("Ice cream?" a friend questions. "That defeats the purpose!"  "No", says I, "That IS the purpose.")  14 miles is my current PR, meaning I'VE NEVER RUN THAT FAR BEFORE.  Therefore, I was basically clueless (aka Stupid) about the need for hydration on long runs.  I learned a hard lesson that day.

About mile 12 (post milkshake) the leg cramps began.  By mile 13 - pretty miserable.  The last half-mile, Lindsay (who was still going strong) left me behind and I hobbled, jogged, and limped my way home.

Thinking I'd outsmart what I thought was just a simple bout with lactic acid, I laid down on the floor and propped my legs up on the couch, utilizing some old biking advice from Ironman-friend Mark.  Fortunately Lindsay had to leave before noticing that I could not get up again.  (I prefer to suffer alone.)  I was stuck on the floor, trying to massage the cramps away.   My calves were really TICKED OFF after what they'd been through.

Upon reading that a common cause of cramps is dehydration and loss of electrolytes, I've been on a mission to gather portable drinks and chewy-gummy things that are crammed full of everything important-sounding, so as to not replay that experience.
This nifty little find was on clearance at REI.  My online running friends should be relieved that they won't be hounded anymore for their opinions on what to buy.
Next week The Schedule says 16 miles ....  Whose DUMB IDEA was this anyway??

4 comments:

  1. Just because you like to suffer alone doesn't mean I couldn't have at least helped you up!
    I'm excited for our next run. 16 MILES BABY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'd love to run with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen, I haven't tried it yet. I'll let you know. But the sharkies are good.

    ReplyDelete