Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Rah Rah RUN !!

If I like something, surely everyone else MUST like it too, right?  And when I'm passionate about something, then why the heck are you all just sitting there??  Let's feel it!

I'm again attempting to whip up enthusiasm in a group of non-runners, or I should say, pre-runners as I present to them reasons THEY need to run.   So let's put our heads together and figure out how I can inspire some pavement-pounding calorie burn.

Who is this group?  20-somethings who have recently landed in my world, who are still feeling pretty invincible and for the most part, have no clue of the evil that awaits them around the eventual corner of their 40th birthday.  Namely loss of youthful stamina and the dreaded middle-age spread, among other obnoxious things.  How do I motivate them to head off the problem before it shows up?  How to I make them want to run?

Regular exercise is the BEST prevention of dementia, heart disease, obesity, depression, bone problems, diabetes, etc., not to mention ... early death.  But when you're barely out of your teens, who cares about 20-30 years in the future?  They WANT that video game and cheese burger now.   They probably don't even know what dementia IS and surely their knees with carry them forever.

But I'm gonna try.  I'll give it my best because I just KNOW that if someone had tried to inspire me to run about 30 years ago, I would have been all ... over ...... it ........... okay maybe not.   So I'll poke, prod, and pep-talk them out the door and onto the sidewalks.  And maybe, just maybe, a budding runner will emerge from the pack and make us, and all future cardiologists, proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment