Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned earlier that I run 20 miles each week.  (Don't think I can't hear the collectively bored  S..I..G..H.. and "Yes. We know.")  ........... Anyway, I try to "gitter done", (as my adorable red-neck brother would say) in as few runs as possible.  Usually it takes me four times out, and sometimes three.  It's best to put in a strong effort on Mondays with a good seven to eight miles, or at least six ... five minimum, and hopefully by Friday, there are only a couple of miles left to do.   Dodging the rain and coordinating the other elements of My Life, adds challenge to this routine.  Then I "relax" over the weekend, filling my exercise time with walks or maybe a bike ride, and start over again the next week.

Today, being Monday, I did exactly seven, and it was one of my better-feeling runs which just happen randomly.  I carry almost 10 lbs. less than I did a couple of months ago and either:  1. It's helping ... or 2. The stars and/or planets are aligning themselves again.  When I hit the 6.2 mile mark this morning (10K distance) I noted my time.  1 hour, 7 min.  Not great by any means ..... I've certainly done better, but I wasn't really trying that hard either.  So I'm okay with it.

According to those mysterious people called "They".... who SAY a lot of stuff....   research has shown that, on average, runners get two seconds per mile faster for every pound they lose.  So, for example, a 10-pound loss would shave about one minute off your 5K race time.  Not bad, eh?  But in three and a half years, I've only run one official 5K and I don't keep track of my 5K pace.  I focus more on 10Ks.  T'would be really nice to just do a 5K, but I never sign up for them.  Reasons:  There's usually a 10K offered in the same race for the same price, and my frugal nature demands I get the most for my money.  Plus, I know I CAN run 6.2 miles.  Plus my beloved running-friends all go for the 10Ks.  So there it is.  (I might have to recruit some new calmer-and-less-crazed friends because some of my current ones are pushing past 10Ks and I just don't want to get caught up in the momentum.  Been there.  Done that.)

Well, this certainly was a boring post but hey, it's Monday.  However, when you read that I've lost "almost 10 lbs.", it SHOULD have snapped you to attention!  'Cause I'm dang-pleased about it.  More on THAT soon.  
Just something pretty from my yard.

    


1 comment: