Friday, March 30, 2012

Maple bars, Dairy Queen, and safety nets

I learned another lesson this week.

Since our last fitness challenge ended one week ago, I have been in a free fall, eating with shameful abandon, and more lax in my exercise routine -- well there are reasons excuses for that part.  But I let myself fall into the world of ice cream and peanut butter because I knew there was a safety net below.  That net translates into our next challenge, which started today.  So after my week of falling, I am back on the wagon and you know, it feels good.  It feels safe.

Eating is one of my, your, everyone's greatest pleasures.  There is nothing like that first bite of a fresh maple bar.  But the pleasure is short-lived because I know that knee-buckling, deliriously-delicious experience comes at a price.  And the price I paid was a gain of nearly three pounds.  If I didn't have that safety net, I would have been in a panic.  Thank goodness for my net.

But, and here's the problem, my net won't always be there.  In fact 8 weeks from now, it'll be gone, and I will be released into Summer .... on my own.

Oh Summer.  I KNOW of your sweet deception.  I used to believe in you.  I used to think you meant great weather and LOTS of outdoor activity including group runs, relays, and bike rides -- burning LOTS of calories.  And that's true.  But you also bring sabotage in the form of picnics, BBQs, vacations, and those ever dangerous road trips.

Did you all know -- at the big truck stop in Troutdale, Oregon, where the gas prices are not quite as screamin' ridiculous as elsewhere, where we pass through whenever we head east, they sell AMAZING maple bars?  Oh yes.  They do.   And when headed on a road trip with Favorite Husband, happily anticipating time together, a maple bar is just the perfect start of a fun day.

Then there's Dairy Queen.  We don't do fast food ... except for Subway.  (I couldn't even tell you what is on the menu of Burger King or Taco Bell and not due to my own high eating standards.  Favorite Husband doesn't like them .... and when I'm out by myself, I don't eat.)   But Heaven's rays shine down upon every DQ I have ever met.  Not for the hamburgers or coney island hotdogs which I don't recall ever eating.  We're talking sundaes with extra hot fudge and peanuts.  And blizzards.  (Hint:  If you ask them to leave off the lid, they are more likely to pile the ice cream higher above the brim of the cup!)   I can tell you the location of every DQ within 30-40 miles of my house.  And I know of every DQ along the Oregon coast.  And a few up Washington.

All in all, no-one-no-where loves food more than me.  But as I have said before, being slim is better than donuts or a DQ blizzard.  I learned that several years ago.  And because of my weak nature, I have a HUGE need for structure, boundaries and accountability.  It feels good to feel safe.  And it feels good to take control and to KNOW the scales are headed back down.  THAT I learned ... this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment