Thursday, December 8, 2011

Lace up your shoes and grab a jacket ...

... because I'm taking you on one of my typical five mile runs.  This is what I see day after day after day after day .........




Just leaving my neighborhood.  In the spring, this seemingly harmless stretch of road is the scene of vicious and unprovoked harassment by birds.




Through the small recently-built college campus next door.




 Past the first of several "round-abouts".   (Remember to roll your Rs and pronounce round like rooond (as in balloooon), according to my sister who has been to Scotland and KNOWS.)




  
Past our lovely golf course. 





Around the back of the hospital where we catch a glimpse of my shadow.  This spot is where I often see hospital personnel go to smoke.  Reminds me of high school.




To the local highway that funnels too much of Oregon's traffic through our small town.




 Another rrrroond-about.  (IMO round-abouts are only good for cyclists.  I don't like them as a driver, nor as a pedestrian.  But when on a bike, they're great!  They don't force me to stop which involves unclipping and re-clipping into the pedals.)



A small but notable hill.  With bicycling, you can get some momentum going down to carry you partway back up again.  Not so with running, unfortunately. 




The intersection I know all too well.  I cross it in 99% of my runs.  Note to drivers:  Go ahead and go!  Don't wait for me.  Let me stand (and rest!) here for a minute.  Really.  I don't mind.




Back to the highway and past one of the few remaining outdoor drive-in theaters in the country.



Looping around Walgreens.  Just before this spot, we've hit the 5K point.  1.9 miles to go.



  
Here's where I feel smug.  Just run, Curves-members.  Once you're outfitted, it's free! .....




One of the more eye-pleasing(?) sections of my run, through a back parking lot and behind Les Schwab.  This shot failed to include the ambient trash bins.



More smug thoughts.




Here we are within a stone's throw from a quick finish at my house, straight ahead down the road.  But to add another 3/4 mile, we're turning left ....



  
... down this asphalt path.  Note my shadow in the corner.  I actually took some shots of my shadow, but I looked like a fat Dr. Seuss creature. 




See what I mean .....



Back to that same ol' intersection where we stomp on a few seed pods from the oak trees.




On the home stretch!  I SHOULD be sprinting now.  Ha!  As if.



  
The end of our run!  (AKA Home)
Off-topic side note:  The Christmas garlands on the posts look scrawny during the day, but at night it's pretty.  Actually, there is a respectable amount of lights on the house and bushes which YOURS TRULY put up all by herself!  Using REALLY BIG ladders!    (P.S.  Vote for Rob!)

8 comments:

  1. That was fun! If for no other reason than to see photos of my Newberg again :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should do one of these -- that was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I am from Utah, so it was nice to see some sunshine in there. We are stuck in the mucky haze inversion!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that was fun. What a great run...does that count as mine for the day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments!! I'm happy to share my town, the sun, and my run with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I (conveniently) forget how beautiful Oregon is. SO PRETTY. Enjoy every second!! Thanks for sharing. BTW, I've done jazzercise and, don't hate me here, but it's WAY funner than running!! Ha, ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All exercise is good! But running is free ..... after you buy the shoes, and the clothes, and the iPod, and the music .... and not counting the events for which you sign up .... okay maybe it's not completely free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty house! I liked seeing it (and your route). How about an inside tour of your home? :)

    ReplyDelete