Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A happiness check list


Recently, on one of my favorite talk shows, the host stated that he believed three ingredients were necessary for a happy life:  Purpose, Structure, and Camaraderie.   Lacking any of these three, one will not be truly happy, he claimed.  It made sense to me so of course, I inserted my life into this formula, to see where I stood.

Purpose:  For me, my religious faith fills this one.  I know where I came from, why I'm here, and where I'm going.  You can't get much more purpose than that.  IMO, one needs faith in both God and an afterlife to have true long-term purpose.  I understand, of course, there are plenty of people who would disagree with me; nevertheless, this is my blog and my opinion counts here.  They are free to write their own blogs.  But what about other purposes in life?  Short-term stuff.  Like goals.  Again IMO, all short-term goals are lessons or types if you will, of the one larger eternal goal.  Setting and achieving short-term goals teaches us that we CAN achieve the BIG one.  Running plays a role here.  Learning that I CAN do things I never thought I'd even try, has added confidence and purpose to my life and has increased my happiness.  Check.

Structure:  Here again, my religion plays a big part.  It is a 24/7 lifestyle with plenty of structure which to some, might appear to be confining.  But actually, it has kept me free of many forms of bondage.  By following its tenets, I have avoided many of life's pitfalls and poor choices with all their unintended consequences.  Work is also a great source of structure.  But in another sense, running, like any type of exercise, also promotes structure because of the discipline involved.  My schedule and mileage goals each week have given me a sense of control and security that I can remain strong and (somewhat) lean despite age.  Check.

Camaraderie:  Again back to religion.  Activity in my church throughout my life has been the source of many friendships.  Family, of course.  My husband most of all.  They have taught me how to care about others.  And running has enhanced my social circle.  When I started running, my camaraderie level took a leap upward.  There's nothing like sharing a common love for something that the rest of the world looks at with total dismay.  I have kindred spirits among my friends and most importantly, I feel valued by them in return.  THAT's camaraderie.  Check.

Take a moment and assess your life.  Are you happy?  If you are missing any of these three ingredients, you might consider raising your level of activity at a church.

Then I suggest you go outside and run.


2 comments:

  1. check, check, check!

    (Though I'd add a #4. Regular sleep. I'm still working on that one...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lins, Regular sleep probably counts as structure, so yes, it's a worthy goal. But in your case, you deserve extra blessings to compensate for lack of sleep.

    ReplyDelete