Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Class envy

Not to be overly snit-ish, but on the same theme as this post, and although I passionately admire people who can do them, I resent the whole concept of an ultra-marathon.  In fact anything beyond the established, commonly-and-respectfully-known entity of 26.2 miles doesn't set well with me.  Why?  Because the ultras (100 stinkin' miles!), the 50 miler, the 50K (31 miles) all diminish the accomplishment of finishing your standard time-honored marathon.

"Ho hum.  You ran a marathon?  Well, bless your heart.  I used to do those.  Then I got serious and bumped it up to an ultra.  THAT's a REAL challenge.  But only for the really Hard Core.  Nowadays I use marathons for warming up."

Not that I've actually heard anyone say that.  Nor seen it written..... But surely they're thinking it.  ...... Buncha show-offs.

I liked the whole idea that the number of marathon finishers is less than 1% of the population.  And that I was one of them.  And that somehow, it set me apart from the Rank and File.   Whether or not that number is a myth, it felt good.  It was validating.

But now there is an even smaller elite group that is gaining too much recognition, crowding MY group out of the top tier.

Again, these mega-runners deserve our highest admiration.  A body can burn calories and grow weary just THINKING about a such a feat!  Nevertheless, to them I say - Calm down!  Go climb a mountain, or swim the English Channel.  Or get the most hits on You Tube.  Whatever!  Just stop pressuring those of us who barely survived a marathon and can't THINK past 26.2 miles.  Enough is enough!

Besides, I'm not convinced it's POSSIBLE to run 100 miles.  Unless of course you're a Kenyan, made of nothing but lean muscle, carbon fiber bones, and the lungs of Lance Armstrong.  Not to mention the discipline and determination of a Jedi Warrior.  Which I'm not.

So those of you who think a marathon is just a breezy morning jaunt, I strongly suspect there is some Kenyan and/or Jedi DNA floating around in your bloodline.  Surely you don't have to WORK as hard as the rest of us.  It MUST be easier for you.  Forget the proverbial silver spoon - obviously you were born with a tattoo of a Nike swoosh.
Just saying.

;-)






2 comments: