Saturday, January 7, 2012

Run FOR the cure? ... It IS the cure!

In the city near my small home town - and in many other cities as well - you will find annual races titled something like Run (or Race) for the Cure.  They are usually to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer research.  Having lost my mother to the disease many years ago, I appreciate the cause.  But a far more deadly disease that takes more victims is heart disease, which can be a result of too much body fat.  And the Battle of the Bulge never ends.

In my own personal battle, I have logged 28 miles this week.  I'm not sure if I've ever done that many miles in one week before, except for Marathon Week.  The motivation is that I'm still packing some Christmas pounds and a little nervous about weighing in on Monday.

You see, Weight Watchers employees, which I am one, are all former members who have successfully lost weight on the program.  Once you lose your weight and maintain for six weeks, you reach what is called "Lifetime" status and you remain in the program for no cost for the remainder of your life as long as you: 1. Weigh in at a WW meeting at least once a month and 2. don't gain more than two pounds above your goal weight.  If you DO go over that two-pound limit, you simply start paying again and jump back into the program.  The stupid truth is that you are never cured from the reality of calories-in VS calories-out and there are no shortcuts nor magic pills.  *Sigh*

So I've pushed extra hard this past week to run some pounds off.  In a perfect world, weight would come off as easily as it goes on.  But a perfect world, this isn't.  And in a perfect world, the above picture would have shown female feet so that no one leaves here wondering ....  

One thing I've noticed in my three years at WW -- most enrollees are former members.  I'd say easily 70%.   Why?  There are a multitude of reasons as to why they didn't stay in the program the first time.  Discouragement.  Cost.  Looking for an easier way - (Hint:  There isn't).  Or a false sense of security in thinking maintenance is a done deal as in, "Oh yeah, I've got this beat!"  Trust me, losing is the easy part, compared to maintenance.  That's why so few "losers" can keep it off long term.

If it wasn't for running, I would have gained it back.  How do I know?  Because I've been down that road before.  Twice.  I'm good at logging miles, but NOT good at logging every bite that enters my mouth.  It's so blasted tedious.  I yearn for my youth when I could almost eat with abandon, all the while THINKING I was fat. -- (Yeah, right!  If ONLY I could be at my college weight again ..... I'd actually APPRECIATE it now)

Not that I'm THAT far above it.  Ten pounds, or so.  Including those Christmas pounds which WILL come off, By Dang!

Back to the program and on with the battle because if there's one thing I've learned, it's being slender is better than donuts ... and I LOVE donuts.


2 comments:

  1. That last line should be an official motto, or something. It IS better! (BTW, my friends all think/know you're so cool...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this!

    I've never had to struggle with weight, probably thanks to my father, but I am getting older and the ONLY way that I FEEL decent and have the energy I need to get through my crazy days is to treat my body right. I have been slow about working out since having Claire, but I am committed to do better.

    ReplyDelete