Friday, January 13, 2012

Game on!

Another fitness challenge begins!  Remember this post?   With some significant format changes from the first one, I am joining my second (and one half, counting the one I didn't finish) 10 week challenge to lose some weight.  The Christmas weight, plus some pre-holiday, non-festive, pounds is/are coming off.  And three hours into it, here's how it's going:

First of all, I must confess, last night I binged.  We went out to eat since Husband and I are out of town, and that shrimp-filled chili relleno with the cheesy sauce was TO DIE FOR.  Then while visiting Cabela's, Husband's FAVORITE store on the planet, I bought a quarter pound of maple nut fudge that we devoured in our hotel room later that night.  If you are familiar with fitness challenges, you would know that it is a competition within a group and there is a cash prize at the end.  And to any of my "competitors" who might read this - admit it - you binged yesterday too.  Yes you did.

So this morning it officially began.  And of course, the complementary breakfast at our hotel, was FULL of evil.  All kinds of sweet pastries (my weakness), waffles, breads, etc.  I dutifully ate a TON of fruit while pocketing a banana for later, a ridiculously small bowl of Total cereal, and a piece of toast.  *Sigh*

Don't tell anyone at Weight Watchers, but I've decided to just count calories this time.  Not that the WW plan isn't good - it absolutely is!  In fact, WW has won national awards and we, as employees, get to wear nifty little lapel pins that brag about it ....  But after 3 1/2 years, I just needed a change.  Something different.

And so it's almost 11:00 a.m. and I have "spent" 240 calories so far.  (There was some cream cheese and marmalade on that toast.)  I'm allowing myself 1400 per day and that leaves ......  1160!  I'm also using a WW tactic of not counting most veggies and fruits, so I haven't abandoned WW altogether.

Here's an earth shaker:  Husband is doing it with me.  And I didn't make him.  And he plans to WIN.  (It's adorable!)  He's so clueless about calories ... but there are apps!  And he has a fancy new phone!  So three hours into this, he's going strong!  heheheheheh,  as I said, clueless ....  As someone who has been calorie-conscious practically since first donning panty hose at the silly-and-much-too-young age of 14, I have to chuckle.

There is much more to fitness challenges than just losing weight.  We also gain points for getting enough sleep, eating healthy food, drinking LOTS of water, and exercising.  As you know, I get plenty of exercise, so no issues there, but the water thing is problematic.  I'm not a water-bottle carrier.  Drinking fountains work just fine, IMO.  I grew up with them and I'm still alive.  But we're supposed to drink at least 48 oz. daily and this always sends me on a mad search for a bathroom every couple of hours.
http://www.clipartguide.com/_pages/0511-0708-2917-4844.html
So you can happily look forward to updates, because the challenge lasts 10 weeks.  Husband is probably planning our next trip to Cabela's because that prize money is already burning a hole in his pocket.

2 comments:

  1. He's so funny thinking he's going to win! I've got this one in the bag this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still binging...ours doesn't start until Sunday. I'm thinking a trip to DQ and Red Robin may be needed tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete