Thursday, August 25, 2011

The tightrope over the pre-HTC abyss

As a tool that I'm going to need in a few weeks, or even in a few days, when I'm coming down off my Hood To Coast high and I am again tempted to don the captain's hat, I'd like to document how I'm feeling on the eve of this annual event.

My thoughts/fears at this moment:

1.  The phone will ring and one of our runners will cancel.
2.  One or more of our runners in either of our vans, will come away HATING their van-mates, or the whole relay, or life in general.
3.  One or more of us will succumb to any one of several heat-related crises -- yes the forecast says hot.
4.  I will not be able to sleep tonight - ONE of the few nights in the entire year when, on a 1 - 10 scale, its importance hovers somewhere around 17.
5.  I will forget to pack something SO important that my eternal salvation will plunge into jeopardy.
6.  Some other disastrous thing that hasn't occurred to me yet.

Let me put it this way:  I am walking on an imaginary tight rope, suspended above an abyss.  The last two years I skittered across triumphantly with cheers and joy on the other side.  But I'm back up on that tight rope again, with NO guarantees I'll be able to pull off another successful crossing.
And in the past, AFTER I have made it across, I ALWAYS forget how deep and threatening that abyss was.  I just remember the cheers and joy.  Hence this post.

I have my list.  I'm packed.  I survived a last minute, potentially epic problem that was solved via a few phone calls and some dependable friends.  There are a few issues with one of our van's AC, but I'm trying to not think about it because it's in capable hands ....

Husband, who is one of our drivers, is swamped at work.   It always happens just before we go out of town.  I should be used to it by now.  He will be up late tonight and I will worry about him getting enough sleep.  Again, all normal.  Once we get rolling, I will be fine ... as long as all glitches remain small and pocket-sized.

Beloved Daughter and a few assorted friends flew through here a few hours ago on their way to spend the night with their team near the starting line.   Their excitement alone could have fueled their car.  So if the stress doesn't kill me, the adrenaline might.  I'm vulnerable on several fronts ..... and along with the Van Halen hit, "Jump",  that's playing in my head right now, I think I can also hear the opening strains of the theme from "Jaws".....

   da-da ...... da-da ...... DA-DA ...... DA-DA






1 comment: