Thursday, August 4, 2011

How the garage sale monster ate my 10K

Last year Favorite Daughter and I came up with the nifty idea of a church-sponsored running event.  I submitted the idea to the Powers That Be.  With an enthusiastic response/approval, and as a reward for said nifty idea, I was asked to be in charge.   I pulled together a talented little committee of Favorite Daughter and awesome-friend/fellow-runner Kyndra.  We titled the event, "Run, Run, Ye Saints".  If you are not affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you might not understand this title.  So let me explain:

One of our best-known "Mormon" hymns was written in 1846 by William Clayton.   Its lyrics are full of encouragement and comfort for the early pioneers as they traveled across the plains, via covered wagons and handcarts, to the Salt Lake valley.  The title?  "Come, Come, Ye Saints".

Back to the run.  We based the event at one of our chapels in McMinnville, OR.  I plotted a 5K (3.1 miles) route that wound from the church through a quiet, friendly, harmless-looking neighborhood and back to the church.  I was careful to avoid crossing busy streets and THOUGHT we had marked it well with chalked arrows and signs.  10K runners would run the route twice.  Favorite Daughter handled publicity and Awesome Friend made prizes for the winners.  I also recruited Brilliant-Techie-Guy Chris to handle the timing via his computer set-up, and a few others to cover the smaller jobs.  And as always Husband Dear was there in full support.  Everyone came through like champs.

We had a great turnout, numbering close to 80 running or walking participants.  We even had stroller-pushers.  The elite recovery drink--chocolate milk, and cookies were all set out for the finish.  It all went smoothly until the run actually started.

There is no way we could have anticipated the MONSTER-sized neighborhood GARAGE SALE that roared to life in the harmless-looking neighborhood that same morning.  It snuck in like a stealth bomber, completely hidden from our radar screen.  Bargain shoppers and their cars flooded onto our route, covering the arrows and blocking the signs.  It was a windy (long i) route anyway, and with muddled directions, runners & walkers were criss-crossing everywhere.  Some even stopped to browse through the merchandise and haggle a few deals.  Nevertheless, everyone seemed to have a good time.  I'll never know if our prize-winners REALLY were the fastest, or just missed a turn and lopped off a bit of distance.  Oh well ... at least it was a free event.

Run, Run, Ye Saints, 2011, is happening this weekend and yes, I am in charge again.  We moved it to nearby Dayton, OR, in hopes of avoiding the monster.  For added insurance/weaponry, I made maps.  Hopefully I'll remember to take pictures this time.  And if the monster rears its head in Dayton, I'll get photos of it also.  And maybe I'll check out a few sales. 



                                       

4 comments:

  1. I love garage-sale-ing!!! And running...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty funny! And choc milk is the best post-run beverage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My phone ate my comment! I posted one yesterday, honest!

    I'm bummed I won't be able to attend this year. Parent classes at the fair start at 8am and I'm signed up for 3 of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really funny post, though I'm sure you were not entirely amused at the time this whole event came down. ;)

    ReplyDelete