Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Million Dollar Question

There is a mystery in the life of a runner that needs a solution.  And when I figure it out, I will market it in Runner's World magazine and enjoy a wealthy retirement.  The mystery is:  Why do I feel good on one run, and then feel like last week's leftovers on another run?  Yesterday I ran my sixth official 10K and I set a new PR.  My bucket list goal is to get in under 1 hour.  Yesterday I did it in 1 hour and 6 seconds.  (MY garmin said 1 hour and 2 seconds, but I'll "graciously" ...  >:-/ ... let that go ...)  Needless to say, it was a great run!  Part of the reason was that several friends were running also, which always makes anything more fun.  There were a couple of challenging hills, including one nasty hill towards the end that, IMO, was just downright rude and unnecessary.  Even at that, I got my best time to date and finished feeling good.

Two weeks ago I did that 10K at Champoeg Park and crossed the finish line gasping and frothing like an old horse needing to be put out of its misery.   (You've got to admit, it takes a certain degree of security in one's self-being to publicly post such an unflattering shot.)

That route in the above picture at Champoeg was f-l-a-t and yesterday's route was, as I said, anything but.  So WHY?  And what concerns me most is that I CAN'T SEEM TO CONTROL NOR PREDICT IT.  On a routine run, the old-horse syndrome doesn't really matter, other than it can be really irritating.  But there are runs when it DOES matter ...!

Anyway, here's a photo showing off a sampling of some Awesome Running Friends at yesterday's 10K.  (You will recognize FRP to my right.)  It was the first of the annual Newberg Camelia Festival runs, and I plan to boot Champoeg out of my routine and replace it with this!

Pay particular attention to Awesome Running Friends 2nd and 3rd from the right.  This was their debut 10K and THEY RAN THE WHOLE WAY!   You can now say you knew them when .... because I'm sure we haven't seen the last of these two in this dazzling world of pavement-pounding.  AND they, like me, used to HATE THE WHOLE IDEA OF RUNNING.  (Maybe they still do ....)  Another two of the Awesome Running Friends in the picture (Tall Guy in Back and White Hat Gal) are also somewhat new to 10Ks and are showing us all how it's done.  Finally, the Far Right Gal left burn marks on the street as she rocketed off into the lead.

So whatever that mystery component that creates a good run is, whether it's adequate rest, nutrition, warming-up, lucky socks - or if it's simply the stars aligning themselves correctly ....  I hope it kicks in when I really need it.

7 comments:

  1. When you find out, let me know. It seems like the planets need to align just right for me to actually RUN another 5k distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I had one of those days on Thursday. Felt like every step was leaden. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is the pits, and it doesn't seem to be age exclusive. At least I can't blame it on age because I had the same kind of "bad run days" even back when I was actually a pretty darn good runner in high school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the stress of the run and resultant terrible feeling after finishing the race two weeks ago set off an internal process of increased physical and mental strengthening that manifested itself in the race this weekend. Does that sound scholarly??!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To MY FRP-
    Sorry, I dunno.

    Nevertheless, see you FRIDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcia, does that mean I have to have a miserable run two weeks before the BIG one? .... I think I can do that!

    David, Maybe the secret is orange wedge candies. I did try them once (inspired by you) and had a good run ..... Ya hear that Runners? Let's give it a try and compare our results.

    Thank you everyone for your comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think two contributing factors that are more significant than people think are 1)blood sugar level (what is eaten up to several days prior) and 2)rest (how much sleep or recovery time are we getting several days prior to the event). When you solve this let me know because I haven't figured it out either.

    ReplyDelete