Saturday, March 5, 2011

Break out the Season! (Updated)

Two years ago, my first official race was at Champoeg Park.  It wasn't a positive experience as I've mentioned in a previous post.  But now that I've ran it three times, it has become my annual tradition, my own personal season opener and a standard I use to measure my progress.  Hence I'm feeling a little ownership.  Not that I have anything to do with putting it on, but still, somehow, I'm claiming it as mine.

For one thing, Champoeg Park, a place significant in Oregon's history, was a favorite haunt of my dad's.  I remember many afternoons as a child, driving from Portland with him, to wander and explore in this vast area along the Willamette River.

Now I live within a few miles and visit it frequently, often on a bike.  So to the hundreds who came from miles away to run in this beautiful setting I say, "Welcome to my backyard, and to My 10K."

Since Oregon Road Runners Club, the actual group that deserves the credit, generously posts the results online, I looked back over my progress:

2009   1:00:48   6th place (in age group)
2010   1:01:39   2nd place
2011   1:01:44   5th place (per my Garmin)

Hmmmm.  Not progressing in the right direction, am I.  And as you can see, placement depends on who shows up that year.   In 2009, as I recall, the route was cut slightly short due to a fallen tree blocking the path.  That probably accounts for my better time .....

Anyway, as I keep telling myself, at my age it's not about speed, it's simply about being able to do this!  In 2009, along with hundreds of unknowns, I ran it with Bryce and veteran-runner friend Ricky.  2010, I, AND the hundreds of unknowns,  ran it alone.  This year I ran it with Fellow Members of our Runner's Anonymous Facebook Group:


This group includes Favorite Running Partner, who finished just ahead of me.  It wasn't her best time by far, as she's been dealing with sick kids and lack of sleep all week.  Usually she leaves me in the dust!

Here we are, ready to start.  (A cute shot of FRP, and the side of my head with all the clips to keep hat and hair contained.)

 We're off!
Friend Sue nailed First Place in our age group!  She's amazing!  I'm happy with my 5th place, assuming there were more than five participants of same age and gender !  (Update:  There were nine.) 


So with my 3rd Annual Champoeg 10K "under the belt" as they say, AND with SPRING just around the corner ..... drumroll ...... LET THE SEASON BEGIN!!  Hoo-ah!

Coming up:  Runner's Anonymous

3 comments:

  1. That last picture is fantastic Mom! I'm gonna let my not-so-great run go and look forward to an awesome year of running!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Notice I didn't post a picture of myself at the finish line. What an exhausted, gasping mess I was!

    ReplyDelete