Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My purpose in starting a blog ....

I'm brand-new at blogging.  Several months ago I sat down to start one, and couldn't even come up with a title, and there it ended.  Well I have a title now.  Let's see if I can figure out Step 2 .....  


I am a runner.  It started at the end of July 2008.  I was motivated to join Weight Watchers because I witnessed my sister-in-law lose weight and actually keep it off a year later.  She told me about Weight Watchers and within the week I was a new member.  About a month into this program, I decided to give running a try. For years, I've been a regular walker with diligent friends Sue and Barb.  We walked fiercely, up steep hills and long stairways.  But the weight still crept on.
I knew I needed to step it up to help with the weight loss.  But I hated running.  REALLY hated it.  When you run, everything bounces.  It's just not flattering.  And talk about boring!  Nevertheless, I went to the local track and did several miserable laps.  I went again with Bryce and he encouraged me into doing "just one more lap".  I actually managed to run three miles.  THREE miles!  The next day at church, I bragged to everyone who made eye contact.  I ran three miles!
Next I purchased my beloved iPod.  I listened to talks by people whose words inspire me, while I continued to run.  One day "Rosanna" by Toto, came on the car radio.   A truly great piece of music IMHO.  I went home and purchased it on iTunes and my music playlist began.  Music became extremely important when I run, and I pass that helpful hint on to all potential runners.
My miles continued to build.  I remember the day I hit 6 miles.  I texted Bryce, "Eat my dust.  6 miles."  I don't remember what he texted back, but he's always been my biggest fan.  That's a 10K!  Bryce had been running some too, but I was now ahead of him.
Several months later we signed up to run a 10K at Champoeg Park.  It was humbling.  I'd always run alone and THOUGHT I was doing fairly well.  But when I realized the only people I could beat were the very young and very old, I was abruptly yanked down to reality.   No more organized runs with other people, I thought.  I'll just run alone so I don't feel like such a loser.
My next event was a 5K in Richfield, UT on the 4th of July.   I got to run with Bryce, my brother Larry, and sis-in-law Marcia.   Here's the best part.  I beat Bryce.  And I got my 2nd best 5K time to date: 28:19.


In August we both ran in a Hood to Coast team, and had more fun than should be allowed.  I'll write more about this ridiculously heady event later.
That was my first year and  I was hooked up to my eyeballs.  The weight had come off in the first few months, and it was staying off due to running.  I was logging 24 miles a week.   I had a new identity.  I am a Runner.  More about that later.


So that's a not-so-brief glimpse of the basis of this blog.  I want to encourage others to take this .... journey (Bleh! I hate that phrase!) but there it is.  Running has changed my life and I'm convinced it can do the same for others, regardless of age.


Plus I cannot guarantee that a few other topics might not creep in here.  We'll see where this goes ....

6 comments:

  1. Look at me! I'm your FIRST commenter!! Give me a minute and I'll be your FIRST follower!!!
    Great blog, mom! I'll be expecting some good laughs and inspiration. Maybe a few tears? (I'm such a boob...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Another great blog to add to my list! Count me in as an official follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're off to a great start on this blog, but i have to admit i'm offended by the term "middle-aged". it cant possibly be true.

    are you going to post your playlist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments! This might become fun.

    Melissa, with 5-1/2 grandkids, I'd BETTER be middle-aged. Or else I was really promiscuous as a young teenager. I've thought about posting my playlist, but that involves figuring out how the heck to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yea!! So inspiring! I can't wait until I have this baby and I can start running a little again. I really did enjoy it! Love the blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job on you blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete