Thursday, April 14, 2016

The dreaded C word

I hardly feel like I deserve the title Cancer Survivor.  I simply found out I had breast cancer six weeks ago and now, one surgery later, I don't.  It's those brave women who endure weeks of chemo and/or radiation treatments with all the nasty side effects who deserve medals of gold.

"Calcifications" the doctor said after my last annual mammogram.  (With my family history, I was fairly vigilant about going in regularly.)  He pointed to speckles on an X-ray image.  Tiny speckles.  A biopsy confirmed the suspicions of the various physicians who suddenly crowded into my personal space.   Ductal carcinoma in situ, aka.... DCIS.  This is, I learned via my immediate Internet search, the kind to get.  I mean if you must get breast cancer, choose this.  Stage Zero.  Nothing bad mischievously sneaking off into unsuspecting lymph nodes or other various bodily crevices.  All things nefarious were neatly trapped in the milk ducts.  That's what "in situ" means. But it might not stay that way so those ducts and their residing speckles, had to go before they turned into something truly scary.  They and the surrounding real estate.  Therefore, my whole original *front porch* is now gone .... and construction has begun on a new and improved version which will not and can not go all kamikazi by trying to kill off the mother ship.   Can't complain about that.  No more worries about lumps or whatnot, and no.more.mammograms.  Another upside of this is the outpouring of love and prayers from my close little circle of friends and family.  There's nothing quite like the C-word to get people's attention.....even though, as I said above, I hardly feel like I qualify.

This has thrown a bit of a wrench into our travel plans so if you live nearby and wonder why that big ol' bus of ours never seems to actually GO anywhere.....this is one of the reasons.  T'was an interruption we didn't foresee when we started the transition into full time RVing.

All in all, I feel pretty darn lucky.   It's a glitch Dearest-Husband-Ever and I will get past together and THEN we will toe-test the water of venturing down the road, even before the new *front porch* is fully completed.  Afterall, the bus is as comfy as all get out and I can be home in my own bed .....wherever we go.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome news on the prognosis - having a melanoma removed from my neck over 10 years ago, cancer still looms in the background. Annual skin checks are now a "normal" part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're okay too. Vigilance. That's what it's all about.

      Delete
  2. Brenda! So glad you are going to be fine! We seriously have been gathering quotes to have our front porch rebuilt this summer! I will never be able to think of it in the same way, thanks to you! ;)

    ReplyDelete