Thursday, January 30, 2014

Hello, my name is ..... and I am addicted .....

to a lot of things ..... such as .....

Carbs.

Good conversation.

My bed.

Fun.

The news.

Cranberries.

My husband.

Oregon.

My flat iron.


And social media.  AKA facebook.  I admit it.  I am one of those people.  I am on it TOO often.  I comment TOO much.  And I've been nursing the illusion that everyone is anxious to hear my next thought.  As if.  Very, very few facebook denizens are THAT witty, clever, funny, or smart that we want a constant stream of their comments crowding onto our news-feeds all day long.  And I am not the exception, as much as I'd like to be.

At least I am not guilty of inflicting my nightly dinner menu upon my patient friends, nor posting those obnoxious sayings, like .... "Share if you love your daughter!"  Let the record show that I love my daughter and my other various and assorted kids.  And my grandkids, sibs, and all extended family.  I'm even fond of my cat .... most of the time.  They know it.  You know it.  That's enough.

My awakening came when I learned that a friend had unfriended me.  That's something that, no matter how gently they intended it, kinda hurts.

Wait ..... I thought.  Me??  But my posts are important!  They have substance!  I do research!  The world needs enlightening, and I am here for it!

On the other hand, I enjoy well thought-out posts from others, and have learned a great deal from my facebook community.  And the humorous updates are priceless.  So who doesn't love a hearty political rant now and then, to nudge that sleeping giant called the Silent Majority?   But then ..... maybe the giant prefers to sleep.

So here's my plan.  I am going on a diet.  A social-media diet.  If I can limit carbs, I can limit posting.  No more than ONE of my in-your-face political rants per week.  Or maybe less.  I'm not talking about commenting on someone else's post .....  and I can see this needs further clarification.

This does not include things like ..... Anyone know of a good Mexican restaurant? ..... Which I do, by the way ..... in case you're looking for one.  Or .... Are movies still $5 on Tuesdays at the Regal?  Or .... There's a great sale on cereal at Freddies.  THAT kind of thing benefits us all and is not what I'm talking about ...... although, I don't buy cereal anymore and am not that into movies.  But you get what I mean.

I am cinching in the belt and counting my social calories, so to speak.  Reining it in.

But watch out.  OCCASIONALLY, that sleeping giant is going to get a solid whack in the shins because I can only hold the steam in so long before bursting.  And the giant is invited to punt-kick back ....  or roll over and finish his nap.  It's all good.

One bit of advice:  Don't follow me on Twitter.  I've figured out how it works and the rants are flying over there.






3 comments:

  1. I've noticed you've been quiet lately! But hey, your posts eased the monotony of sifting thru the other dinner pictures, "share if you love your ___" and other various humdrums...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy. And ditto back to you. Lins - I haven't been silent. I've just been hiding a lot of my political posts. Kind of like writing an angry letter then tearing it up. I need to jump start my other blog and put it over there.

    ReplyDelete