Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Freedom! (Part 1)

One thing I have come to know, since I bid the semi-sedentary lifestyle goodbye (for a while at least), is empowerment.  I have accepted sweat, grit, risk, and the courage to try, into my normally pampered, soft-bed, daily shower, and sitting-on-the-sidelines world and, as a result, I feel more free.  

And what's more, for me, this came quite late in life.

Which may be why I also feel gratitude.  

And joy.

I used to balk at roughing it.  I used to hate most sports, especially running.  It was all so uncomfortable.  And I was never much good at it anyway.  I opted to stay on the bleachers or in the support vehicle, preferably with air-conditioning, and look cute in my latest new top from TJMaxx.  And heaven help us if my hair frizzed!  

But now ..... maybe it is because I am getting older and the self-perceived cuteness is fading .....  either I just don't care as much or I'm in denial regarding how bad I actually look.   (Which is why I don't like TOO many cameras pointed at me because the pictures usually force me out of that denial to which I emotionally cling.)  

I am free to DO.   I am free to run and to be on a team with people who are young enough to be my kids, and keep up.  And even pass a few of them!  I am free to be seen sans make-up, in all my middle-aged glory, letting my frizzy curls fly -- gray roots and all.  I am free to sleep on the ground (With at least an air-mattress please!) un-showered after my last run, in my sleeping bag, next to teammates who are in a similar gritty state, and unsure as to where the nearest toilet is.  I know I can do this and survive!  

And not only can I survive, I can walk away in my sunburned, smelly, frizzy condition with a grin.  I CAN do it!  I DID do it!  And I can DO IT again!

THAT, my friends, is empowerment.  I have eliminated some personal fears and replaced them with freedom.  And it feels good.

Thank you, Favorite Daughter, for this picture.

Stay tuned for Part 2.  Freedom ain't free.


1 comment: