Saturday, September 24, 2011

New PR!

I'll just come right out and explain AGAIN that PR means Personal Record without shaming any of you for not knowing basic running lingo.  And yes, I have a NEW one!  

In my vast running history of just over three years, I have run eight 10Ks.   (10K = 6.2 miles ... again, no shaming; however, a BIG eye roll if you don't know what a 10K is by now!  ... get with it People!)  Plus I've done countless practice 10Ks with just me and my Garmin.  It has been my goal to break an hour, meaning to run it in less than that.  I got very close in the Newberg Camelia 10K last spring, with a few seconds over an hour.  Typically I hover around 62 to 63 minutes.  

Today I met my goal.  59 minutes and 18 seconds.  (It might have been a few seconds faster if I hadn't miss-placed the finish line thinking it was a street-width sooner than it actually was and had kept my pace up ..... one of those annoying regrets that might keep me awake tonight.)  Even MORE satisfying than THAT was my average pace --  9:33 minutes per mile.  For this grandmother of six, an average pace of 9:33 is dang good.  At least it is for me.  So indulge me in a little bragging please.  

If you are wondering which 10K I ran this morning, it was the Best Dam Run in Estacada, OR.   This run is definitely a keeper, partly because of its COOL name, and also because we were bused from City Hall, up to the starting line which was situated next to a gorgeous, scenic-in-typical-Oregon-fashion, river.  Did you notice I said UP?  Yes!  We then ran back DOWN to City Hall.  (When one is running, down is always a good direction for one to go.)  Added to the gorgeous scenery:  summery weather, that mostly-downhill run (there were a couple of uphills), some fun friends, ... and you have a winner of a morning.   Now, you may be thinking that my pace and time were due to the descent in elevation, but we need not go there.


Here's our merry group at the start.  We didn't bother herding the many other runners and walkers into the picture.  They would have crowded out the background anyway.


Favorite Daughter and I with our Happy-It's-Done grins.  She ALSO got a new killer PR!  (Less than 54 minutes.  She'll have to comment, because I can't remember her exact time.)

       T'was a good day.

4 comments: