Monday, May 16, 2011

Slogging along in Paradise

Last November when I signed up for the marathon, I was clueless and naive.  I thought I could do it on my own.  I thought all I'd need was a little fortitude and a training schedule.  Wrong.

Fortunately, before I realized my foolishness and before I knew I'd need rescuing, FRP/BD (Favorite Runner Partner/Beloved Daughter) stepped up.  I have since learned that I COULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS WITHOUT HER.

Not only has she provided me with hours of sanity-saving companionship and conversation on the long runs, she introduced me to Runner's Paradise, AKA Grand Island.  Since it's a few steps out her door, and since she's a professional photographer, I assigned her the job of taking some photos.  And she did.
Last Friday we barely completed our FINAL long training run.  It was too warm - a whopping 70 degrees.  (I know ... pathetic.)  We dragged ourselves through the last few miles.  Legs cramping.  Motivation gone.  But the scenery, (and her company) were flawless.
So I'm posting this in honor of all the miles, we logged there together.  I didn't love the pain nor the anticipation of more increasingly-long runs-to-come throughout the winter.  But I DO look forward to future non-mandatory-just-for-fun runs along the quiet roads of this picturesque bit of earth, with my FRP/BD ....

AND with mileage goals in the SINGLE digits.

1 comment: